Soya health risks, but why has it been “hailed” by many as healthy food. And the food industry has not wasted any time to claim soya to be an amazing healthy food, lowering cholesterol, support women with menopausal symptoms, help with osteoporosis, and dare I say they have even claimed that soya reduces the risk of some cancers. Unfortunately soya is all else BUT the healthy wonder-food you think it is!
Did you know that soya is present in more then 80% of all supermarket products?
Soya is an invisible ingredient in nearly everything we eat. Soya is used to ‘bulk out’ and bind many processed foods. From sausages, lasagne, beefburgers to chicken nuggets. Soya allows food businesses to make claims of their foods having a higher protein content on the label which in fact is quite misleading!
Soya has risen in popularity for the food industry as a very cheap source of (unhealthy) protein, a filler for many, many food items and also as a very cheap source of vegetable oil. Soya not only destroys forests and small farmers! Soya is also bad for your health! NOT in my body!
No part of the soya bean is wasted!
Every part, every fragment of the bean is used. As a source of fibre in cereals, breads and even snacks the husk is used, which really is considered “waste”. So don’t be fooled by the word “fibre”.
The crushed and extracted soya oil is the most consumed vegetable oil in most parts of the world. The oil is added to margarine’s, salad dressings, and to other cooking oils. So basically the soya oil will simply be listed as vegetable oil.
The invisible market of soya!
The soya bean produces lecithin during the oil extraction. Lecithin is a emulsifier which supports fat to mix with water. So quite a vital ingredient we need for cooking and baking and of course for the confectionery businesses. Lecithin stops ingredients from separating. Food labels of many chocolate bars, cakes, biscuits and crackers will state lecithin as an ingredient without the lecithin being linked to soya. Very confusing really, but in the food industry there are a lot of ‘glitches’.
And don’t be fooled when you find soya milk (it is NO milk) in the chilled cooler at supermarkets. It just gives you the illusion of it being fresh, where it is just a crushed bean juice with added flavouring.
ALWAYS READ YOUR LABELS!!
Your health is at risk!
Soya contains anti-nutrients which are natural toxins. But soya also contains a large number of alarming compounds that may put your total health in danger.
- Soya contains goitrogens which lead to depressed thyroid function
- Soya contains phytates which prevent absorption of life enhancing minerals
- Soya contains phyto-oestrogen which blocks the hormone oestrogen which has adverse effects on human tissues!
- If over the course of a month a woman drinks 2 glasses of soya milk a day her menstrual cycle will alter.
- We owe it to the increased consumption of soya in western women for an early start of puberty. The early start of menstruation, early breast development. Acne, eczema and other skin conditions.
- Babies who are only fed soya formula are exposed to an amount of oestrogen equivalent to five birth control pills on a daily basis! Remember that mega doses of phyto-oestrogen in soy formulas are putting your baby’s normal sexual development at high risk.
- Soya has been found to damage brain function in men as well as reducing male fertility due to the extremely high amounts of oestrogen found in soya. The more soya a man consumes, the harder it will be in fertilising an egg.
- Studies link the phyto-oestrogen’s found in soya to form an increased risk of certain types of cancer.
Makes one wonder what the health effects are on humans (and animals) who regularly eat or drink products made or secretly containing soya?
And what about the animals?
Each year 250 million tonnes of soya are produced around the world and 90% are used to feed animals. You name it, from cows, lambs, pigs, chicken to turkeys, fish to birds, no doubt, the meat you eat comes from an animal raised on a soya lifestyle. I don’t eat, so I don’t have to concern myself with having hidden soya in my body! And than there are the chemicals soya is sprayed with. Soya is pure GM Genetically Modified!
Soya Health Risk, but if you must, make sure it is fermented!
No doubt, but fermented soya products will be better for your health. The following below are all whole food forms of the soya bean. The key to Natto health benefits is that it is fermented. Natto is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis var. natto
Natto is made by soaking whole soya beans. Then the beans are steamed or boiled. Afterwards the bacteria Bacillus subtilis is added to the mixture.
- Soy Sauce
Tofu and Soya Milk are not fermented and therefor form a health risk!
One of the main issues is that the soya you are seeing in all the foods is not the traditionally grown crop of Japan. Most of soya that you see in supermarkets is genetically modified or short GMO. Therefor it is not farmed the same way or yielding the same nutrition.