Citrus fruit are brightly coloured and bring a burst of sunshine into our winter days. The colourful fruits are not only full of flavour and pretty to look at, they are also extremely good for us. There are many reasons for you to add citrus fruit to your daily lifestyle for their awesome health benefits.
Awesome Citrus Fruit Facts !
These days citrus fruit is cultivated in tropical as well as subtropical climates. With countries like Spain, Brazil, China, Mexico, India and America being countries of major growth. Native to Australia, New Guinea, New Caledonia and Southeast Asia the fruits grow on flowering trees and shrubs. Gorgeous in colour, leathery rind by touch with white pith encasing delicious juicy segments.
- Almost a third of all citrus fruit is used to make juice.
- All kinds of citrus is available throughout the year.
- Citrus fruit are rich in vitamin C & B, minerals, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper.
- A nutrient that strengthens the immune system.
- Keeps your skin in healthy condition from the inside out.
- One medium orange is all you need a day to cover your daily VITAMIN C.
- Anti-inflammatory | Antioxidant | Nutritious
- Citrus fruit contain compounds of over 60 varieties of flavonoids | carotenoids | natural essential oils.
- A cup of orange segments contains as much as 4gr of soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Improves digestive health.
- Citrus is low in calories. Great to maintain weight and also to support weight loss.
- May reduce the risk in kidney stones, they are more common in people who eat less citrus fruits.
- Studies say that citrus fruits reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- People who consume higher amounts of these fruits have lower rates of heart disease and strokes.
- Compounds in citrus fruits benefit heart health, improve cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure.
- Citrus contains flavonoids which help ward off neurodegenerative diseases ie. Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s.
- Flavonoids also have anti-inflammatory properties which help protect the chain of events that causes deterioration of the nervous system.
Did you know?
Many times I am sure you have been told that eating or juicing lemons is too acidic. Here’s what happens. Your blood requires healthy acid versus alkaline, or pH levels to function properly and when lemon juice has been fully metabolized and its minerals are dissociated in the bloodstream, its ultimate effect is alkalizing. So consuming lemons therefore raises the pH of your body tissue. When your pH is above 6.5-7 it is alkaline!
So remember, Lemons are an incredibly alkaline food!
……..and did you know?
- LEMONS stimulate the left side of the brain?
- ORANGES stimulate the right side of the brain?
Try having filtered charcoal water with a couple of slices of organic lemon. Delicious! Refreshing! Detoxing!